Artificial Intelligence (AI) is capable of a wide range of tasks. From automating mundane tasks, such as scheduling and data entry, to more complex ones, such as natural language processing, image recognition, search engine optimisation, fraud prevention and more. AI is transforming the medical, automotive, finance and legal industries. But what about creative fields, such as content writing? Cutting-edge AI technologies certainly have potential.
An intelligent chatbot system, released by OpenAI in November 2022, is designed to do just that. ChatGPT is trained to generate human-like conversations. It is able to understand questions and provide coherent, relevant responses. It can also generate its own text based on the input it receives. To understand how writers can make the most of these AI technologies, we asked AI to answer this question…
What are the possibilities for content writing?
Here’s what it said:
“The future of AI in content writing is promising, as it has the potential to greatly improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the process. AI-powered tools can assist with tasks such as research, keyword optimization, and even writing entire pieces of content. However, it is important to note that AI is not yet advanced enough to completely replace human writers, as it still lacks the creativity and nuance that humans possess. Additionally, it is important to consider the ethical implications of AI in content writing, such as the potential for AI-generated content to spread misinformation. Overall, AI has the potential to greatly enhance the content writing process, but it should be used in conjunction with human oversight and expertise.”
This looks like a pretty coherent paragraph, right? At first glance, you may agree that AI can do the job of a content writer. But as this paragraph alludes to, there certainly are some limitations.
What are the limitations of using AI for content writing?
We asked ChatGPT to break down these limitations a bit further. Here’s what it said:
“ChatGPT, like other language models, has several limitations when it comes to content writing. Some of these limitations include:
- Lack of creativity and originality: ChatGPT is based on patterns in text it has seen in the past, so it may not be able to generate truly original content.
- Lack of context and understanding: ChatGPT is not able to fully understand the context and meaning behind the text it generates, so it may produce content that is inappropriate or inaccurate.
- Lack of understanding of the content’s purpose: ChatGPT is not able to understand the purpose of the content it generates, so it may not be able to produce content that is tailored to a specific audience or goal.
- Lack of understanding of the content’s tone and style: ChatGPT is not able to understand the tone and style of the content it generates, so it may produce content that is not consistent with the desired tone or style.
- Bias: ChatGPT is trained on a dataset from the internet, which may contain various biases. So, the generated content may reflect these biases.
In conclusion, ChatGPT is a powerful tool for content writing, but it should be used in conjunction with human oversight and expertise to ensure that the content produced is accurate, appropriate, and consistent with the desired tone and style.”
Working with AI for developing content
There you have it, straight from the horse’s mouth: AI has a place, but it certainly can’t replace the writer.
At Mobimeme, we are excited about the potential of using AI, particularly for research and SEO optimisation. But as you can see from the two AI-generated texts above, there is a limit on what AI can do – they are extremely formulaic and lack creative flair. Our writers write original and inspired content that outshine these lists of factual nuggets and turn them into something digestible and relatable for your target audience.
We agree with Arthur Goldstuck from World Wide Worx and what he says about AI-generated writing tools:
- Skills and writing capabilities of a 12 year old
- Very factual
- Facts are not always correct
- Littered with facts that are not correct that needs to be fact checked
- Not exciting writing
- Not very technical and well written
- Not focused on the brand and it’s benefits
- It does give feedback like a search engine
- Does not replace a writer or inspirational writing
- Does not demystify a brand’s services and products
- And will not replace editing
It’s important to keep in mind that AI should be used as a tool and not as a replacement for human writers. The generated content should be reviewed, edited and corrected by human writers.
Also, it’s important to ensure that the content generated is accurate, appropriate and consistent with the desired tone and style of the brand. At Mobimeme, we are passionate about staying on the forefront of content production. We embrace these new tools to keep delivering more value for our clients. For more information about our digital marketing services, please contact us today.
Mobimeme offers various digital services, including content marketing, SEO, analytics, social media management and expert direction in the digital sphere. Building and growing online audiences for your business is what we do best. For more insights, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.